I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that I’ve found my new favorite condiment. Can we talk about harissa?! If you haven’t heard of it yet, just know that this spicy, North African sauce is totally helping me kick my sriracha habit.
I can literally smear sriracha on just about anything. From halloumi sandwiches to vegetarian BLTs, to spicy honey glazed cauliflower, sriracha has always been my secret weapon. Now harissa is quickly becoming my go-to ingredient for everything. And when I say everything, I do mean errrrrthing. If you’re new to the harissa game, pick up a jar of this versatile deliciousness immediately. And for those of us that have gone beyond the classic harissa and couscous combo, this spiced chickpea recipe from One Green Planet does not disappoint! You must try this!
Spiced Chickpeas With Harissa and Tamarind
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons harissa paste
- 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper, optional
- 2-3 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 2-2 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 15-oz canned chickpeas, drained)
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add mustard seeds when oil is hot, stir and cook for about a minute until seeds start popping.
- Add cumin, onions and tomato paste and cook for a minute or two until onions start to soften.
- Add garlic, harissa, and cook for another minute or so.
- Stir in tamarind, and paprika, Aleppo pepper and chickpeas and water, mix well to coat.
- Lower heat and cook for three to five minutes or until chickpeas are warmed through.
- Season with salt to taste.