Ok. I admit it. I miss bacon. It’s been almost 25 years since I gave up eating meat and I’m perfectly fine with that…until I smell bacon. I’m not really into all of those imitation meat products. They’re usually so over processed that I end up feeling pretty weighed down after eating them…plus they DO NOT taste like bacon. Like seriously. Not even a little bit.
So recently I started searching the interwebz for a tofu bacon recipe. Once again the web came through. I found a recipe that I really liked. I did things a little bit differently from the original and I love the result. Just to be fair, nothing tastes like bacon except bacon, but this is a pretty delicious alternative. Give it a try!
Tofu Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Sandwich
***recipe derived from AmuseYourBouche
- firm tofu
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chipotle sauce (or homemade sriracha)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper
- 1tbsp oil
- romaine lettuce
- sliced tomato
- Cut the tofu into 4 thin slices.
- Press the tofu – place the tofu in a single layer between two kitchen towels. Put a heavy cast iron skillet on top of the blanketed tofu. Let it stand for several minutes in order to press as much water out as possible.
- Combine the maple syrup, soy sauce, chipotle sauce, smoked paprika, and black pepper.
- Transfer your pressed tofu to the baking dish and allow the marinade to totally coat the tofu.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, and add the marinated tofu. Pour over any leftover marinade. Cook over a medium heat for around 5 minutes each side, or until the tofu is firm and crispy.
- Assemble your Tofu BLT!
Source: Amuse Your Bouche