I told you guys in a previous post how much I love Mealime. It has seriously revolutionized the way I think about meal planning, grocery shopping, and cooking. The app has so many recipes to choose from, and they’re conveniently broken down into subcategories, making it super easy to find recipes based on food preferences. Even though I find myself with more time to cook, I still gravitate toward the quickest and easiest meals. That’s why I’m so in love with Mealime. I can eat healthy meals in about half an hour without worrying about food waste. Win, win, win! Anyway, this recipe has been on heavy rotation in my kitchen, because who doesn’t love a delicious quesadilla? Try this!
Black Bean & Veggie Quesadillas With Tomato & Avocado Salsa
- 2 avocados
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans
- 1 (8 oz) block cheddar cheese
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 lime
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 medium red onion
- 4 tomatoes
- black pepper
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- extra virgin olive oil
- Wash and dry tomatoes, jalapeños, and cilantro.
- Medium dice and transfer tomatoes to a medium bowl. Seed, mince, and add ½ of the jalapeños to bowl (save the rest for the quesadilla filling). Halve and pit avocados; scoop out the flesh, medium dice, and add to bowl. Shave the cilantro leaves off the stems, mince the leaves, and add ½ to bowl (save the rest for the quesadilla filling). Peel, small dice onion, and add ½ to bowl (save the rest for the quesadilla filling).
- Drizzle ingredients in bowl with olive oil and lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Wash, seed, and small dice bell peppers.
- Coat bottom of skillet with oil. Add remaining onion, jalapeño, and bell pepper. Stirring frequently, cook until vegetables have softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Add beans and remaining cilantro to skillet. Then season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook until beans are warmed through, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Grate 2 cups of cheddar.
- Wash and dry skillet. Heat over medium heat.
- Place tortillas on a flat surface. Layer on half of each tortilla with an eighth of the cheese, a quarter of the bean mixture, and another eighth of the cheese. Fold tortillas over to close.
- Coat skillet with oil. Place 2 of the quessadillas in the skillet, straight edges next to each other. Cook until golden brown on both sides and cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining 2 quesadillas.
- Transfer to a cutting board and cut into wedges.
- To serve, place quesadilla on a plate and serve with salsa.