One of my sisters recently reintroduced me to the concept of the Wellness Wheel. The Wellness Wheel is a visual model that illustrates the seven key dimensions of our lives. These seven dimensions are: emotional/mental, intellectual, physical, social, environmental, financial/occupational, and spiritual. All are interconnected and vital to a well-rounded and balanced lifestyle. That’s a mouthful, I know, but hear me out.
Remember how back before the Covid lockdowns started, you’d tell yourself, “if only I had more time at home I would…”? Well, here you are. This is not what you had in mind when you yearned for more time at home, for sure. It’s not what any of us had in mind. But when life hands you lemons, you can either squirt them in people’s eyes, or you can look at them as being half full… or something like that. The point is, we can think positively about this increased time at home. Seriously, it’s the perfect opportunity to start the hard work of balancing our wellness wheel.
So how do we know which dimensions of our wellness wheel are off-balance?
- take a self-assessment quiz. This quiz from Princeton University is a quick and easy starting point.
- develop an action plan. The possibilities are endless, but here’s what it might look like:
Sample Action Plan
- exercise regularly
- Maintain a healthy diet
- maintain personal hygiene (skin care, hair care)
- watch an interesting documentary
- read at least one book/month
- listen to podcasts
- truly think about ethical and religious beliefs
- read religious texts
- declutter living space
- be mindful of recycling and sustainability
- redesign living space for beauty and function
- connect with friends and family at least once a week
- reach out to old friends
- create a budget and stick to it
- be selective about shopping choices
- keep a gratitude journal
- sleep regularly
- seek counseling and professional help
There are so many approaches that you can take! This is definitely not an exhaustive list. In the meantime, check out these past posts on wellness rituals:
- Yoga Inspiration in Pictures
- DIY Winter Skin Treats
- Fall/ Winter Ready DIY Skin and Hair Masks
- 4 Wellness Rituals to Start Today