Summer skin care. Yes! I love the way my skin feels after a day at the beach. Sun-kissed and smooth. This homemade seaweed mask delivers that feeling in a bottle. Heather over at Mommypotamus really mixed up a winner with this recipe!
Seaweed Mask Recipe (With Kelp and Chlorella)
- 1/2 tsp kelp powder (try this kind)
- 1/2 tsp chlorella. You can also use spirulina but be aware, like turmeric, it can give the skin a temporary yellow tint)
- 1 tbs plain yogurt – OR – 1 tbs aloe vera gel – OR -2 tsp skin nourishing oil
- 1 drop essential oil
- If using an essential oil, add it to the kelp/chlorella powder and stir until it is thoroughly mixed in.
- Add in yogurt/aloe vera gel/oil and mix again.
- If needed, add more liquid until the mixture creates a smooth, spreadable consistency. (If using yogurt or aloe vera, I typically add water. If using oil, I add more oil.)
- Scoop out the seaweed mask with a spoon, then use your fingertips to apply it to your face.
- Allow it to sit for 15-30 minutes, then rinse.
- Follow with moisturizer.
***For the yogurt base, about one week if stored in the fridge. For fresh aloe, about two days in the fridge. An oil-based mask will last longer – at least several weeks in the fridge.