The other day I was in Midtown, and I stopped by Little Collins on Lexington Ave. Little Collins is one of a few Australian coffee shops that have been cropping up around the city for some time now. If you’ve been following along with me, you already know how I feel about Australia! Crazy, I know, but if Little Collins is any indication of the kind of food those Aussies are serving up, I need to book a flight immediately.
Anyway, prepare to have your mind blown. I ordered the Sweet Uncle Fred at Little Collins: Toasted banana bread topped with ricotta cheese, berries, honey, and toasted almonds. This is probably the most amazing breakfast dish I’ve had in a long time. I knew I had to try to recreate it at home. After some experimentation, I think I finally have it down.
What You Need:
- Banana bread (you can just get a loaf from your local baker or take a crack at this recipe)
- fresh berries (any berries will do, but I used strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries)
- finely crushed toasted almonds (optional)
- 3 tbs honey
- 1tbs raw sugar
- 2c ricotta cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- Blend cream cheese, ricotta cheese, honey, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and let it chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes (I have never been able to wait the full 30 minutes for this to set and it’s still delicious so, you know, your call).
- Slice your banana bread into about 8 pieces and toast under a medium grill until the edges are slightly browned.
- Spread the ricotta cheese mixture over the banana bread slices.
- place a handful of fresh berries on top
- drizzle with honey and sprinkle with toasted almonds
I’m pretty sure that any kind of bread or muffin will work with this ricotta cheese mixture. It’s so good I honestly plan on spreading it on everything from toast to graham crackers, and even dumping a spoonful onto ice cream. Mmmm…ice cream topping…I just thought of that. Move over Nutella!
Image Credit: littlecollinsnyc.com
Image Credit: foodmento.com
7 thoughts on “Try This—Toasted Banana Bread With Ricotta, Strawberries, Honey, and Toasted Almonds”
This recipe looks amazing! 🙂 I can’t wait to try it! Thanks for posting it 🙂
You won’t regret it! I can’t believe how good ricotta cheese is when it’s served up on the sweet side!!!
Huuuuungryyy 🙂 That looks delicious!! I just made protein pancakes but that looks so yummy.
I made it yesterday, using thickened cream instead of cream cheese. It tasted yummy
That sounds like a good idea! I’ll have to try that!
I haven’t been able to go to New York for a long time. And usually when I’m there, I have the Sweet Uncle Fred from Little Collins for breakfast. Today I was wondering if I could maybe find the recipe online and I stumbled on your blog. I will definitely try your recipe tomorrow!
That’s awesome, Ladina!!! I’m so happy I could help!